Personal Homepage of
Andreas van Cranenburgh
Also see my professional homepage
- Master's thesis: Discontinuous Data-Oriented Parsing through Mild Context-Sensitivity (code).
- No such thing as a language? - paper on Davidson's infamous claim.
- Linguistic meaning and perceptual symbols - criticizes Barsalou's perceptual symbols as not being adequate to explain language, and suggests Deacon's account of symbols from The Symbolic Species as an alternative.
- Mind as socially constituted - instead of stressing the information processing functions of mind, mind should be seen as developing as part of a social fabric, following Wittgenstein and Vygotksy.
- A lexicalised type driven semantic grammar (python code; requires nltk) - for want of a better name. Basically this takes the output of a CFG and replaces the leaves with lambda expressions, after which nodes are applied to each other recursively until finally the root node contains the semantic interpretation. Example sentences demonstrate handling of scope ambiguity (although this depends on a lexical ambiguity in the verb), and a PP attachment ambiguity (deriving from both a syntactic and lexical ambiguity).
- Implementation of Data-Oriented Parsing (DOP1 specifically) in Python using NLTK. UPDATE: DOP1 using Goodman's PCFG reduction -- an efficient implementation.
- MicroML a minimalistic interpreted ML-like language implemented in OCaML. (TODOs: better parser, reach meta-circularity)
- Bachelor's thesis AI: Simulating Language Games in the Two Word Stage
- Language & Cognition: Autonomous syntax & compositionality: the bane of linguistics? (essay proposal). Plausibility as bias (essay proposal). The bicameral mind (essay proposal).
- Implementation of a Persistent balanced search tree, with java source
- Solver for concentric, circular mazes (Theta mazes) (in Dutch), also see java source (English)
- Implementation and comparison of performance of hashtables with separate chaining and linear probing (in Dutch), also see java source (English)
- Computer Vision projects:
- Cognitive Psychology: Basic-level categories: formation and constitution
- Towards a computational model of early language acquisition - article on a project I did with three other students, modeling the one- and two-word stage of children without any innate knowledge. See also: python code and the presentation.
- Report on a SOAP client which queries virtual routers and produces an optimal routing table using a Floyd-Warshall algorithm, with a Python implementation.
- Report on a project to make an SMTP submission client in C.
- Paper on TicTacToe in different sizes and dimensions. See the minimax based 2D and 3D TicTacToe Prolog implementation.
After being interested in this language for a long time, I discovered and followed an Esperanto course at my university. Here's what I've produced thusfar.
- Komputika lingvistika retejo (in Esperanto)
- Esperanto part-of-speech tagger (rule-based, Python). See an example tagged corpus.
- Esperanto translation of ejabberd (a jabber server)
- Esperanto translation of RoundCube (webmail system using AJAX technologies; think drag 'n drop).
- Esperanto translation of IlohaMail - have submitted it, but project seems inactive, therefore I also host it here. Simply extract in src/lang directory, and add "eo/" to include/langs.inc.
- Esperanto translations of Metallica lyrics
Computers and networking:
- unstable.nl - I run unstable.nl
- Greek and Esperanto Dvorak layouts for X-Windows (xorg)
- Getting started with GNU/Linux - Installation, what software to use etc.
- GNU/Linux software I use - Descriptions of my favourite GNU/Linux software.
- DOS - Divx and internet in DOS? Yes it's possible.
- Changing the Award bios logo - set your own custom logo.
- Info - Shows your IP and browser type (PHP script).
- Get My Public GPG key.
Some school assignments (old):
- StrNum++ - work with really large integers. Also explains how to use QuickBasic code in Linux.
- English reading - summaries of electronic texts
- English listening reports
- A listing of books I have read
- Some book reviews I wrote - (old)
- Reviews of documentaries I watched at IDFA (2002) (old)
(Old) electronics projects:
- Power over ethernet trick - send 12V over an UTP cable
- My serial infrared receiver - put on the next song from your couch. It rocks!
- LEDs on parallel port - e.g. to show CPU usage or as a VU meter.
Shameless vanity page: /bin/whoami
A few links to websites I find interesting.